After years of dreaming of being able to make a quick sweet bread, I’ve finally cracked the code! My 1 Hour Chocolate Babka (Easy Recipe) is fluffy, lightly sweet, and satisfying when drizzled with a simple vanilla glaze. Set your clocks, because this baby takes no time!
How to make a quick brioche sweet bread?
While the idea of making bread can seem quite daunting and the science behind each type of bread can be quite complicated, it can also be quite simple. While the star of the show truly is the instant yeast, it is also in your ability to fake humidity. By replicating a warmer-than-room-temperature environment in your oven, you are encouraging the proofing stage of your brioche bread to act fast.
Whether its freshly-baked sourdough bread or a sweet bread like this chocolate babka, I truly believe in the power of gifting made-from-scratch breads. From friends to neighbors to loved ones to strangers, fresh bread has this unrivaled nature of bringing unity with all its heart-warming goodness.
So, here I go – setting a challenge for both you and myself… Can we ask ourselves this holiday season: Who do we know that needs a little extra cheer? Who may be little lonely or anxious during these uncertain times? Who could I show a small token of my appreciation to with the simple things life has to offer? You may never know the impact you can have in someone’s life!
Now, it’s time to grab our aprons and begin baking deliciousness!
1 Hour Chocolate Babka (Easy Recipe)
- 2 1/4 cups Flour, all-purpose or bread flour
- 3 tbsp. Granulated Cane Sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp. Instant Yeast, typically 1 packet
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/4 cup Whole Milk
- 1 large Egg (at room temperature)
- 1 1/2 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add together the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon, instant yeast, and baking powder). Mix on the 'stir' or low speed until well combined.
- In a small saucepan, add the water and milk over medium low heat until warm to touch. Whisk in the egg, olive oil, and vanilla extract. Then, pour the wet mixture into the flour mixture.
- Using the dough hook, mix together on a low speed or 'stir' for 2 minutes, until the dough is shaggy. Then, increase the speed to medium-low to knead for 4-6 minutes (or knead by hand for 8-10 minutes).
- Remove the bowl from the mixer, cover with saran wrap, and set aside for 5-10 minutes at room temperature.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a rectangle that is 1/4" thick. Evenly spread a generous layer of the chocolate hazelnut spread (great substitutes include your favorite nut butter or melted chocolate). Roll up the dough lengthwise, then wrap in plastic or aluminum foil to place in the freezer for 10 minutes to harden.
- Preheat oven to 200F. Grease and line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Remove the babka roll from the freezer to place on a lightly floured surface. Cut the roll lengthwise, then braid the two pieces together (with the insides facing upward). Placing your hands at the ends of the braid, lightly scrunch it together to then place in your prepared loaf pan.
- Cover with saran wrap, then place in your preheated oven. Turn off the oven and set your timer for 20-30 minutes. (The longer it sits, the more fluffy it will get.)
- Remove the saran wrap, keep the babka in the oven, and turn the oven on to 375F. Turn on your timer for 40-45 minutes. Tent the babka with aluminum foil at 15 minutes, or once it is golden brown.
- Allow the babka to cool for at least 10 minutes, then enjoy!
- Optional: Add a simple vanilla glaze or powdered sugar dusting to serve.
I truly hope you all enjoy our favorite babka made-easy recipe that has nestled its way into our hearts here in the ABM kitchen! ’till next time… xxL
“For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.“
Isaiah 9:6 (NIV)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
If you loved this delicious recipe I would truly appreciate it so much if you would give a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #abrightmoment and tagging me @brightmomentco. It always makes my day seeing y’alls creations!