How does a gourmet, delicious, and cheap family dinner sound to you? All hands are raised in my household! My Baked Pumpkin & Sage Pasta Dish is creamy on the inside and pretty amazingly crunchy on the outside (aka the best part).
Every once in a while I like to share with you guys a few goods that can be found in my pantry pretty regularly… Today, I wanted to share my joy for NYC Sfoglini Pasta Shop… Fun fact, I am actually headed up to New York City today for a short trip with my family and I thought what better day to post this recipe than today!
Sfoglini has a wide and delicious variety of pastas, ranging from your classic rigatoni to zucca pasta. One of my favorite things about Sfoglini is their use of the finest American grains (all of which are organic!) to cultivate traditional Italian pasta. If you know me, then you know my love for the Italian culture. I am all ears for an Italian-American brew!
For this recipe, I specifically used Sfoglini’s Organic Durum Semolina Rigatoni Pasta. It is made solely with organic semolina flour ground from the center of durum wheat, which has been a customary tradition in Italian dried pasta for many centuries. Read more on them here.
Just imagine diving your fork into a crispy, cheesy, savory top that reveals creamy, slightly sweet, scrumptious insides.
Honestly, its a very mild pumpkin & sage pasta dish. Its not too sweet and not too salty… its pure perfection in each delicious bite.
I recommend broiling for a few minutes to add an extra crunchy texture on top of the pasta dish, but be sure to keep an eye on it so there’s no burning.
Hear that? The clock is ticking and saying that it is time to grab our aprons to begin making deliciousness!
Baked Pumpkin & Sage Pasta Dish
- 1 Sweet Onion, finely diced
- 2 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 cup Chicken Broth or Vegetable Stock
- 8 Sage leaves, chopped
- 15 oz. Pumpkin Puree
- 1 cup Aged Pecorino or Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
- 1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. Each: Sea Salt and Black Pepper
- 16 oz. Rigatoni Pasta
- Mozzarella for topping (optional, but highly recommended)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Boil a pasta of salted water. Cook the pasta according to package directions, until al dente.
- In the meantime, add 1 tablespoon olive oil in a pan on medium high heat. Add in the finely diced sweet onion and saute for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium, then add in the chopped sage leaves and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes, until slightly caramelized.
- In a large bowl, mix together the pumpkin puree, sea salt, black pepper, nutmeg, chicken broth or vegetable stock. Toss in the caramelized onions and cooked pasta.
- Transfer the pasta mixture into a casserole dish and bake covered for 10 minutes.
- Take the pasta bake out of the oven and top with the grated cheese and slices of mozzarella. Bake uncovered for 10-15 minutes, until cheese is melted. (Optional: Broil for 1-3 minutes for extra crispiness)
Hope you all truly enjoy this recipe and have a fantastic weekend! xxL
More Recipe You May Enjoy: