Grab your favorite mug of hot coffee or tea, because you’re about to bake the fluffiest, lightly sweet, Bakery-style Jumbo Coffee Cake Muffins made with organic kefir for 10+ grams protein per muffin.
What is Kefir?
Lifeway Kefir is a “live and active cultured dairy beverage with a tart and tangy taste and creamy consistency. It originated over 2000 years ago in the Caucasus Mountains and is associated with good health.” (source)
It is a powerful probiotic – live microorganisms (good bacteria) that may support immunity and a healthy digestive system.
What are the benefits of Kefir?
There are several evidence-based health benefits related to whole milk kefir:
- More powerful probiotic than yogurt!
- Potent antibacterial properties
- Can improve bone health and lower risks of Osteoporosis
- Can improve overall digestion
- May be protective against cancer
- And more!
This post is sponsored by Lifeway Kefir’s Organic Whole Milk Plain Kefir. As always, all opinions are mine.
Can you bake with Kefir?
The tangy flavor of Lifeway Kefir comes from the presence of lactic acid, which makes it a scrumptious alternative to buttermilk, but with more protein. Similarly, it’s a more nutrient-dense alternative to whole milk and yogurt. While kefir makes an excellent addition to smoothies, it is just as perfect in baking your favorite sweets to make them light, fluffy, moist, and packed with natural protein. Using whole milk kefir in your baked goods will add to their richness without any addition of processed oils or shortening.
Is Kefir lactose-free?
Lifeway Kefir is up to 99% lactose-free, which makes it a suitable option for those that are lactose intolerant yet still desire those fluffy pancakes, Belgian waffles, sweet muffins, savory biscuits, and so on!
To learn more about kefir or to shop today’s secret ingredient (Lifeway Organic Plain Kefir), click here!
Now, it’s time to grab our aprons and begin baking deliciousness!
Bakery-style Jumbo Coffee Cake Muffins
Coffee Cake Muffins:
- 3/4 cup Lifeway Organic Plain Whole Milk Kefir
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
Coffee Cake Crumble:
- 3 tbsp. Granulated Cane Sugar
- 3 tbsp. Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Unsalted Butter
- 3/4 cup All Purpose Flour
Coffee Cake Crumble:
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add in olive oil or butter, granulated cane sugar, brown sugar, and salt. Warm up for 1-2 minutes, until the sugar begins to dissolve. Add in the flour, turn off the heat, and mix until crumb-like texture. Add more olive oil or (melted) butter, if too dry. Set aside to cool.
Coffee Cake Muffins:
- Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly grease and line either 4 cups in a jumbo muffin baking pan or 8 regular cupcake/muffin cups.
- In a mixing bowl, add together the all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix until well-combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, olive oil, brown sugar, and kefir until creamy, about 1-2 minutes.
- Pour the kefir mixture into the flour mixture, then mix to combine. (Optional: Add in 3/4 cup halved or frozen blueberries.)
- Evenly distribute half of the batter into the prepared muffin cups. Add 1-2 tablespoons of the crumble mixture, then evenly top off each muffin with the remaining batter. Add 1-2 tablespoons more crumble on top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. (For regular-sized, bake for 15-17 minutes.)
- Enjoy warm or cool before drizzling with vanilla icing.
I truly hope you all enjoy this perfect muffin recipe that has nestled its way into our hearts here in the ABM kitchen! ’till next time… xxL
“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.“
Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
If you loved this delicious recipe I would truly appreciate it so much if you would give a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #abrightmoment and tagging me @brightmomentco. It always makes my day seeing y’alls creations!