The countdown to Christmas had begun! And I couldn’t wait a second longer to share with you a holiday favorite, my Chewy Vegan Gingersnaps that will make your house Santa’s favorite stop of the night! They are crispy and ripply on the outside, then chewy goodness on the inside with hints of fresh ginger.
No kidding – these cookies barely last a day from the moment they are taken out of the oven! Plus, your kitchen will smell heavenly!!
Instead of the classic sugar cookie, we’ve switched up Santa’s decorated cookies for these delicious, egg-free gingersnaps. While I am still playing around to create the perfect eggless royal icing recipe, below is my traditional go-to for those that are not vegan.
Classic (and Easy) Royal Icing Recipe
2 cups Confectioners’ Sugar
1.5 tbsp. Meringue Powder
4-5 tbsp. Water, room temperature
Food Coloring (I used white, red, and black for these reindeers!)
In a large bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients on a low speed until incorporated. Then, increase speed to high to beat for 1-2 minutes, until thick and smooth. Add more water / confectioners’ sugar depending on the consistency (using a whisk, the icing should drizzle down and smooth out within 8-10 seconds).
Now, it’s time to grab our aprons and begin baking a little holiday cheer!
Chewy Vegan Gingersnaps
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Granulated Cane Sugar + more for rolling
- 2 tbsp. Maple Syrup
- 4 tbsp. Unsulphured Molasses
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 cups + 2 tbsp. All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 tsp. Ginger, freshly grated or ground
- 1 1/2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. Ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line two baking pans with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, add together the extra virgin olive oil, brown sugar, granulated cane sugar, maple syrup, molasses, and vanilla extract. Beat for 1 minute on medium speed.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, ground cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt. Add in two batches into olive oil mixture on a low speed. Increase mixing speed to medium for 1 minute.
- Using 1-2 tablespoons of dough per cookie, roll them into balls with your hands then roll them into a small bowl with granulated sugar to coat.
- Evenly distribute the cookies on the prepared baking pans, then very lightly press each cookie down (just a little bit!) with the palm of your hand.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes (the longer = the crispier) until crackly on top. Cool for at least 10 minutes. Enjoy!
I truly hope you all enjoy this chewy goodness of a cookie recipe that has nestled its way into our hearts here in the ABM kitchen! ’till next time… xxL
“For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.“
Isaiah 9:6 (NIV)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
If you loved this delicious recipe I would truly appreciate it so much if you would give a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #abrightmoment and tagging me @brightmomentco. It always makes my day seeing y’alls creations!