‘Easy dinner ideas’ is always my number one search on Pinterest… anyone else with me? Some of my favorite recipes are the most simplest ones. With that being said, these Chicken Burritos with Creamy Pesto Sauce are very simple to make, yet they are jammed with flavor!
This recipe would be a delicious meal prep for tomorrow’s lunch. Just simply place the creamy pesto sauce in a separate small container that you can just pour over your re-heated burritos tomorrow! Now, not only was dinner made easy, but so was tomorrow’s lunch! 🙂
Something that I actually never understood until recently was the art of softening a tortilla for the perfect burrito rolling process. There are plenty of ways you can go about it… such as, in the microwave in-between dampened paper towels… but I highly recommend going the cast-iron skillet route. You simply place your cast-iron skillet over medium high heat on your stovetop with no oil. Add your tortillas, one-at-a-time, in the cast-iron skillet to cook for about 30 seconds on each side. (You just want the tortilla to be soft and flexible, so use your intuition if you think it needs to cook longer or shorter.)
It is now time to tie on our aprons and begin cooking deliciousness!
Chicken Burritos with Creamy Pesto Sauce
- 1.5-2 lb. Chicken Breasts
- 1 cup Shredded Cheese
- 2 tbsp. Chile Seasoning
- 1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1-2 Ripe Avocados, diced
- 4 Whole Wheat Tortillas
For the Creamy Pesto Sauce:
- 3 Roasted Chile Peppers, ends trimmed off & de-seeded
- 2 cups Cilantro
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- Juice of 1 Lime
- 1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp. Whole Wheat Flour, can be substituted with other flours
- 1/4 cup Whole Milk
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- In a pan over medium high heat, add the 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil to warm up for 30 seconds. In the meantime, rub the chile seasoning on the chicken like a dry rub. Add the chicken to the pan. Cook for 10-15 minutes with a lid, or until completely cooked, it will depend on the thickness of the chicken breasts. Add in 1/4 cup water and quickly cover with a lid, then cook for an additional 4-5 minutes or until the chicken is tender. Use two forks to lightly shred the chicken.
- In a food processor or high-speed blender, pulse the cilantro, roasted chile peppers, garlic cloves, and lime juice.
- In a saucepan over medium high heat, stir the remaining 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil and whole wheat flour together. After 30 seconds of stirring, add in the milk. Stir until the milk bubbles, then immediately remove from the stovetop once it begins to thicken. Add the creamy paste into the food processor. Blend on medium speed until smooth.
- Finally, heat up the whole wheat tortillas in a cast iron pan over medium heat for 30-40 seconds on each side until soft. Place a decent amount of shredded chicken, diced avocado, and shredded cheese inside each tortilla. Then, wrap the tortilla like a burrito and place back in the cast iron pan, seam-side down, to seal it together for 1 minute.
- Serve each burrito warm with a side of the creamy pesto sauce to pour on top.
I truly hope you all enjoy these delicious burritos and challenge yourself by telling one person today how much you appreciate them! xxL
More Recipes You May Also Enjoy: