Have you ever wondered how you can make those mouthwatering crab cakes at home without buying out-of-season crab? Simply replace it with chickpeas, follow this recipe, and be amazed at how delicious these Crispy Lemon Chickpea Fritters are!!
I actually made two batches of these fritters… one with black chickpeas and one with regular chickpeas… and both we absolutely delicious! However, the regular chickpeas did turn out more aesthetically-pleasing. Lol. Either way, I had these chickpeas for lunch and dinner on the same day I made them… and let me say, I will be making them again! They are the perfect balance between a crispy outside and tender inside that just MELTS IN YOUR MOUTH.
So I am assuming that you would typically reach for that sour cream to place a dollop on each of these chickpea fritters, but just give me a chance to say that I think the 2% greek yogurt works just as good! The creaminess and neutral flavor balances out so well with the savory fritters. And don’t forget about the surprise crunch when you take a bite into one of those crushed almonds… mhmmm… who is getting hungry?!
I actually added EVEN MORE lemon flavor by using an organic lemon 100% extra virgin olive oil, where the olives and lemons were crushed together at the same time during milling. The flavor is so pronounce in the olive oil that I knew it would be a perfect addition to these crispy chickpea fritters. In case you would like to try out these olive oil, I have it linked here for you to read more on it.
It is time to tie on our aprons and begin cooking deliciousness! …
Crispy Lemon Chickpea Fritters
- 15 oz. Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil + more for cooking
- 1 Egg, whisked
- 1 cup Leek, finely chopped
- 1 cup Red Onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup Whole Wheat Flour, can substitute with other flours
- Zest & Juice of 1 Lemon
- 2 tbsp. Stone Ground or Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Cumin (optional)
- 1/4 cup Roasted & Crushed Almonds (optional)
- In a pan over medium high heat, add a little bit of olive oil to warm up for 30 seconds (about 1-2 teaspoons). Add in the finely chopped leek and red onion, then sauté for 3-4 minutes until tender.
- In the meantime, smash the chickpeas in a large bowl. (For added texture, it is okay to not completely bring them to mush.) Fold in the remaining ingredients, as well as the sautéed vegetables. Stir until all ingredients are well combined.
- In a large pan over medium high heat, add a little more olive oil to warm up for 30 seconds (about 1 tablespoon). Form a patty with slightly wet hands that is about 1/3 cup of the chickpea mixture. Place each patty in the pan and cook for about 4-6 minutes on each side, or until crispy and golden brown.
- ~ TIP: Add a little more flour to the batter if your chickpea mixture seems too delicate. Test this out by making one patty, frying it, and seeing if it easily flips without falling apart. If it easily flips, then it is perfect! If not, simply add 2-3 tablespoons more flour. ~
- Allow them to cool slightly before serving with a dollop of greek yogurt, chopped fresh parsley, and lemon zest.
I truly hope you all enjoy these Crispy Chickpea Fritters that are bursting with citrusy lemon notes! xxL
You may also enjoy these recipes: