The countdown to the holiday baking has begun, with Thanksgiving only a week away! Want a healthy, yet scrumptious cream pie? My (Dairy-Free) Chocolate Cream Pie is baked with the best wholesome ingredients that your family won’t even notice a difference in taste from a normal chocolate cream pie! Did I mention it is also low-fat, healthy, and vegan?! YAY!!
I truly believe in cultivating the an appropriate, healthy balance in life… in all aspects of life, including desserts! With that being said, I decided to opt for regular whip cream and regular dark chocolate to make my (Dairy-Free) Chocolate Cream Pie. However, you could make this completely vegan by choosing dairy-free chocolate and garnishing with a coconut whip cream.
You could also make life a tad bit easier by simply buying store-bought pie crust (even if its not chocolate flavor) and it will still taste yummy! The magic is truly in the chocolate mousse itself.
I recommend baking with a high-quality dark chocolate (~70%) for an ultra rich chocolate cream pie. Plus, dark chocolate makes it guilt-free, right?! Dark Chocolate is a high source of antioxidants, may improve blood flow and lower blood pressure, and has been shown to improve brain functions, as well.
I took the pie directly out of the refrigerator after being in there for 12+ hours, so it was perfectly sliceable. However, I think the pie could sit out for 1-2 hours and still be easy to slice… and possibly more creamy as it sits in room temperature!
It is time to grab our aprons and begin baking deliciousness!
(Dairy-Free) Chocolate Cream Pie
For Chocolate Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/3 cup Cocoa Powder
- 6 tbsp. Ice-Cold Water
- 1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar or Maple Syrup
For Dark Chocolate Cream Pie:
- 1 cup Sweet Potato Puree
- 1 1/3 cup Ripe Avocados, about 2 medium avocados
- 1/2 cup 100% Pure Maple Syrup
- 2 cups Dark Chocolate Chunks, melted
- 3 tbsp. Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
For Chocolate Crust:
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, and sugar. Then, use your fingers to pinch in the extra virgin olive oil until it forms a crumb-like texture.
- Add in the ice-cold water, a tablespoon at a time. Knead the dough with your hands until it is smooth. Wrap tightly in saran wrap to sit for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Roll out the dough inbetween two large pieces of parchment paper until 1/8" to 1/16" thick, depending on your preferences. Place the dough over a greased pie pan and gently press it into the pie pan. Trim off any remaining dough.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Check halfway to make sure the edges are not burning.
For Chocolate Cream Pie:
- In a high-speed blender or food processor, combine all ingredients together. Pulse 1-2 times, then blend on low speed until smooth.
- Spoon the chocolate cream into the prepared (baked and cooled) pie crust pan. Evenly spread out the cream. Wrap in saran wrap and refridgerate overnight.
- Serve with regular whip cream or coconut cream, then garnish with dark chocolate shavings. Enjoy!
I truly hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we enjoyed eating it!! xxL
More Recipes You May Enjoy: