Our Dark Chocolate & Coconut Banana Bread is SUPER moist, mouth-watering, and will have you going back for thirds before you know it! Baking with olive oil (and no butter) can be tricky sometimes when you are trying to create your own recipe. The problem to overcome is, how do you keep the moisture in the baked good? Although olive oil adds great richness and flavor, you don’t need as much, often leaving you searching for another source of moisture. That’s where the coconut cream comes into play for this banana bread.
It’s funny how certain foods trigger fond memories in life… banana bread is one of those foods for me. From elementary to early high school, my parents often drove my brother and I to school (which I was so thankful for). Whether someone forgot their backpack (cough cough at my brother lol) or lunch was left in the fridge, we were often running to class as the bell was ringing. However, whenever we had a little time to spare, my mom would drive us through Starbucks to order each one of us a small hot chocolate and warm banana bread slice. And each time, I knew that was a sign that it was gonna be a good day. Now, every time that I have a slice of banana bread, my mind goes racing back to those exciting mornings full of laughter.
What food for you brings back fond memories?
Whether it be grandma’s cookies, your mom’s chicken pot pie, your brother’s quesadillas… set aside a little time today to thank your loved ones for their inspiration and memories…. because you never know what a day will hold.
It’s time to grab our aprons and begin baking deliciousness!
Dark Chocolate & Coconut Banana Bread
- 4 overly ripe Bananas, about 1 1/4 cup mashed
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Maple Syrup, can be substituted with honey
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup Coconut Cream, the white cream in a 15 oz. full fat coconut milk can
- 1 3/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1-2 cups Dark Chocolate Chunks or Mini Chocolate Chips
- Coconut Shavings, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, ground cinnamon, and salt to incorporate.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the olive oil, maple syrup, eggs, vanilla extract, and coconut cream. Mix in the mashed bananas.
- Gradually pour the olive oil mixture into the flour mixture. Mix just to incorporate. Be careful not to overmix the batter!
- Fold in the dark chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into a greased or lined loaf pan.
- Top with coconut shavings (optional).
- Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow the banana bread to REST for at least 30 minutes, then ENJOY!
I truly hope you all enjoy this banana bread recipe! ’till next time! xxL