“Are you sure you didn’t use butter?” My family was shocked at the richness, sweetness, and tenderness of these Double Chocolate Olive Oil Zucchini Muffins that are like dessert for breakfast (brimming with nutrition).
Are chocolate zucchini muffins healthy?
These guys definitely are!
Personally, I believe eating all in balance. Substituting all ingredients with as many healthy alternative as possible to add in maximum nutrients without losing the recipe’s scrumptious flavors!
Such measures include reducing a recipe’s original call for sugar or replacing it with natural sweetness like maple syrup, adding superfoods like chia seeds into the batter, and/or substituting for a more nutrient-dense flour like oat flour.
My favorite part of baking is the creativity you can have as you test out new flavors and unusual combination that may surprise you at the end! And if it doesn’t turn out just right the first go round, don’t give up – just learn for the next time!
Can you make zucchini muffins without eggs?
Absolutely! These muffins were unintentionally made vegan and delish!!
The flaxseed meal in the batter perfectly substitutes the role of eggs in muffins – keeping the batter light and helps stick it all together to not fall apart in your hand lol
… seriously though these muffins WILL melt in your mouth! They are super tender and moist that each bite is even better than the last.
Now, it’s time to grab our aprons and start baking deliciousness!
Double Chocolate Olive Oil Zucchini Muffins
- 1 3/4 cup Oat Flour, or All-Purpose Flour
- 1/3 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 2 tbsp. Flaxseed Meal, substitute with one small egg (whisked)
- 1/8 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 3 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1/3 cup Maple Syrup, or Honey
- 1 1/4 cup Zucchini, grated
- 1/3 cup Applesauce
- 1 cup Almondmilk
- 1/2 cup Dark or Semisweet Chocolate Chips, preferably mini
- 1-2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flaxseed meal with two tablespoons of warm water. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl.
- Add the maple syrup, shredded zucchini, applesauce, almondmilk, olive oil, and vanilla extract into the flaxseed bowl. Mix well.
- Pour the wet zucchini mixture over the flour mixture, add in the chocolate chips, then fold to incorporate all ingredients together.
- Evenly pour the batter into 10-12 lined cupcake or muffin pan. Bake for 5 minutes.
- Keep the muffins in the oven! Reduce the oven temperature to 350F, then bake for an additional 12-13 minutes, or until a toothpick comes clean from the center.
- Allow the muffins to cool for at leat 5 minutes, then enjoy!
I truly hope you all enjoy these scrumptious morning muffins that are healthy, easy, and mouth-watering! ’till next time… xxL
5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
6 in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight.
Proverbs 3:5-6 (NIV)