Every time my family hits up a bagel shop, our go-to order is an Everything Bagel with egg, cheese, and bacon. Hands down one of the BEST bagel combination EVER! However, it’s not always the most healthy and low-calorie breakfast option. Instead, we are choosing to satisfy our cravings with these light and flaky ‘Everything Bagel’ Buttermilk Biscuits with Olive Oil.
As you can see in the title, these biscuits are NOT made with butter. However, as you can see in the pictures, these biscuits ARE flaky and contain every element that you crave in your average biscuit.
The ticket to a healthy lifestyle is ‘everything in moderation.’ Replacing butter in biscuits for olive oil will add a richer, tastier flavor AND you’ll be consuming a healthy fat that your body can use to produce energy throughout the day (and potentially burn more calories).
Just take a quick glance at the recipe guide and you’ll see just how EASY these biscuits are to make. ONE BOWL & DONE! Less clean up duty afterwards and more time to spend with your loved ones as you devour these scrumptious bites of Heaven.
Also, I wanted to give a little reminder to be careful if you have chosen a New Year’s diet. Make sure you are consuming adequate/proper amounts of protein and complex carbohydrates. Complex carbohydrates include whole wheat flour, legumes, sweet potatoes, brown rice, peas, sourdough bread, whole grain pasta, and others. Complex carbohydrates are important brain food and muscle food, which means you are likely to loose focus more easily and not gain muscle as fast if you aren’t properly nourishing yourself with this food group.
It’s time to grab our aprons and begin baking deliciousness!
‘Everything Bagel’ Buttermilk Biscuits with Olive Oil
- 4 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tbsp. Baking Powder
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- 3/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 cup Buttermilk
- 1/8 tsp. Cardamom
- 1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
- 'Everything Bagel' Seasoning for topping
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt, and cardamom.
- Add in the olive oil, then use your fingers or a fork to pinch the olive oil into the flour mix. Then, add in the buttermilk and use a fork to mix together until crumbs form.
- On a clean surface, knead the dough 3-4 times. Roll out the dough to 1" – 1 1/2" thick, then cut 2 1/2" circles. Repeat until all the dough is used.
- Place each biscuit on a pan lined with parchment paper, then create an egg wash (whisk one egg) and brush each biscuit. You can also replace the egg wash with olive oil. Generously sprinkle each biscuit with 'Everything Bagel' Seasoning.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown.
I truly hope you all enjoy this recipe! xxL