Words can not describe how delicious our Garlic, Chive, & Sauerkraut German Pretzels made with Bubbies’ Naturally Fermented Sauerkraut are! On the outside, their crust is dark brown, salty, and crispy. On the inside, the dough is soft and fluffy with a tangy bite from the kraut.
This post is sponsored by Bubbie’s Naturally Fermented Sauerkraut. As always, all opinions are mine.
What is Bubbies’ Naturally Fermented Sauerkraut?
Bubbies Naturally Fermented Sauerkraut is made by using the very crisp center of leaves from the finest quality of winter cabbages. They shred them, add some salt, and then let them magically ferment with naturally present cultures. The result? Crunchy and flavorful goodness!
How to use sauerkraut?
Some of my favorite ways to use Bubbies Sauerkraut is on andouille sausages with a little spicy brown mustard, burritos, avocado toast, salsas, and of course, now my new German stuffed-pretzels!
If you are hesitant at all, let me assure you that you absolutely can do this! It is not nearly as difficult as it seems (sometimes I just get a little wordy/detailed in the instructions to ensure you all have a seamless cooking experience). 🙂
There is basically 5 simple parts to the process:
- Make the dough
- Let the dough rise
- Stuff the dough & form the pretzels
- Boil the dough in the baking soda/water mixture to give it the classic pretzel chewiness
- Bake the pretzels, then enjoy!!
Check out more about Bubbies delicious sauerkraut here.
Now, it’s time to grab our aprons and begin cooking deliciousness!
Garlic, Chive, & Sauerkraut German Pretzels
For the Pretzels:
- 4 1/4 cups All Purpose or Bread Flour
- 4 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 cups Warm Water
- 2 1/4 tsp. Instant Yeast
- 1 tbsp. Brown Sugar or Granulated Cane Sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. Kosher Salt
For the Filling:
- 1 1/2 cups Bubbies Naturally-Fermented Sauerkraut
- 4 Garlic Cloves, finely minced
- 1 tbsp. Chives, finely chopped
- Black Pepper & Salt, to taste
- Spicy Brown Mustard, (optional) for serving
- 2/3 cup Baking Soda
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, quickly whisk together the warm water, instant yeast, sugar, and salt. Let sit at room temperature for 8-10 minutes, until the yeast is active and bubbly.
- Using the dough hook, add in the olive oil to mix on medium speed. Then, gradually add in the flour, one cup at a time. Knead on medium speed for 8-10 minutes, until the dough is smooth and pliable.
- Either temporarily remove the dough from the bowl or grease a separate bowl, then add the dough into the lightly greased bowl, cover, and set aside at room temperature until doubel in volume, about one hour. (The best method is to place it in your oven with the light on.)
- Preheat oven to 425F. Line 1-2 large baking pans with parchment paper.
- Mix together the filling ingredients, then set aside.
- Add the baking soda to a large pot of water (about 6-8 cups) to be brought to a boil while you stuff the pretzels.
- TO ASSEMBLE: Gently transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface, then divide it into 8 equal portions. For each portion, roll out the dough to be a 16-18" long rope, roll the dough out flat width-wise, then disperse 1-2 tablespoons of the filling mixture along the center. Pinch together the dough to cover the filling, then hold the ends to create a U-shape. Cross over the ends, then pinch them to the bottom of the dough. (See picture guide above)
- Working one pretzel at a time, add a pretzel into the baking soda water to boil for 30 seconds on each side. Then, transfer to the prepared baking pan. Give each pretzel an olive oil or egg wash and finish with your favorite toppings (sesame seeds, poppyseeds, salt, etc).
- Bake for 16-18 minutes, until golden brown. Enjoy!
I truly hope you all enjoy this easy stuffed-pretzels recipe that has nestled its way into our hearts here in the ABM kitchen! ’till next time… xxL
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
If you loved this delicious recipe I would truly appreciate it so much if you would give a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #abrightmoment and tagging me @brightmomentco. It always makes my day seeing y’alls creations!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
“So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”
Isaiah 41:10 (NIV)