Garlic & Herb Scalloped Potatoes with Olive Oil
Our Healthy Garlic and Herb Scalloped Potatoes with Olive Oil recipe is out-of-this-world, creamy deliciousness!
The white cheddar adds a rich, creamy flavor to the thinly sliced scalloped potatoes. The herbs enhance the parmigiano-reggiano’s fruity and nutty taste. And the garlic pairs beautifully with a ripe red onion.
Mmmhmmm … I think I will go grab me another serving of this Garlic & Herb Scalloped Potatoes casserole, as I write this out for you!!
FAMILY DINNER TIPS: After a long, hard day at work or school, this comforting scalloped potato casserole is a winner at bringing the family together for a relaxing dinner. I recommend pairing it alongside some cooked green beans with a little lemon juice and oven-baked chicken breasts. Or you can replace the green beans for some cooked kale with lemon juice.
Yep, I am officially hungry now.
In reality, this Garlic and Herb Scalloped Potatoes with Olive Oil is pretty simple and easy to make. Once you have minced your onion and garlic, freshly-grated the cheeses, then all you have to do is patiently wait. The majority of this recipe’s instructions are to just wait for the stovetop and oven to do their magic! Which is perfect, because it leaves you with enough time to clean up the kitchen and/or cook the remaining dishes for dinner. Or even enough time to watch half of a Hallmark movie!!
Although I believe you could make this Garlic & Herb Scalloped Potatoes dish vegan, by substituting for equal amounts of a non-dairy milk, vegetable stock, and vegan cheeses, you definitely won’t have the creamy texture that enters the dish from the whole milk and cow’s milk cheeses. But if you do make it vegan, then please let me know your thoughts!!
If I can offer two tips for this dish, they would follow:
- Slice the potatoes thinner verses thicker in size.
- Don’t skip covering the pan with aluminum foil for the first 30 minutes.
The thinly-sliced potatoes help bring the whole dish together. When you take the first bite, all the ingredients will melt in your mouth perfectly.
The aluminum foil helps to trap in some steam and really help cook the potatoes evenly, along with not allowing the top of the casserole to be burnt and hard on top. You want everything to blend together for the best melt-in-your-mouth flavor and consistency.
Let’s grab our aprons and begin cooking! This Garlic & Herb Scalloped Potatoes is calling our names!
Garlic & Herb Scalloped Potatoes
- 1 3/4 cup Whole Milk
- 2 cup White Cheddar freshly-grated
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano freshly-grated
- 4 Potatoes sliced into 1/8″ rounds
- 1 cup Chicken Stock (or Vegetable Stock)
- 1/2 Onion minced
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 3 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1 tsp. Black Pepper
- 2 tbsp. Dried Herbs
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a pan over medium heat, add in the extra virgin olive oil. Add in the minced onion and sauté until tender, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic into the same pot and sauté until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the flour, dried herbs, sea salt, and black pepper into the same pot. Continuously stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the broth and milk into the same pot. Whisk all ingredients together, so that the flour is not in lumps.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 8-10 minutes, or until it thickens.
- In the meantime, skin the potatoes and slice into 1/8″ rounds.
- In a medium-sized casserole pan, add in a single layer of the sliced potatoes. Pour in a good portion of the flour batter. Repeat until all potatoes and flour batter is used. (For reference, I used a 9″ round casserole dish.)
- Cover the casserole pan with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 25-30 minutes. The top should be golden brown and bubbly.
- Garnish with freshly-chopped cilantro and freshly-grated parmesan cheese. Serve warm.
If you recreate this recipe, then I encourage you to tag @brightmomentco
I would love to see you make this!!!