Chewy on the inside and slightly crunchy on the outside, these (Gluten-Free) Hedgehog Almond Cookies tastes so similar to an almond horn cookie. These festive cookies are Allergen-Free and Vegan, as well! Cultivate happy hearts as you place these scrumptious cookies on your Thanksgiving table this year. Fair warning though, you may be asked to make these cheery cookies reappear on at Christmas!
TIPS for Decorating:
- The cookies do expand in the oven, so make sure you really pinch the designated end of the cookie to form a teardrop shape.
- Place the almond slices so they slant back to form more realistic hedgehog quills.
Now you may be wondering, are the almond slices are too hard to serve these cookies to children? The answer is no! The almond slices become soft and chewy (just like the cookie) as they bake in the oven. Even as they sit out on your kitchen counter, the almond slices should remain soft and easily digestible for your children.
Trust me, they will be a HIT at your child’s birthday party, by both the kids and the parents!
This recipe truly only takes a matter of minutes to make. The remaining time is to patiently wait for these scrumptious cookies to mold themselves together to establish that perfect chewy/crunchy combo.
It is time to grab our aprons and begin baking deliciousness!
(Gluten-Free) Hedgehog Almond Cookies
- 1/3 cup + 1/2 cup Almond Flour
- 1 cup Oat Flour
- 1/2 cup Almond Butter
- 1/3 cup Maple Syrup
- 1 tbsp. Ground Flaxseed
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp. Almond Extract, or substitute with more vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Almond Slices
- 1 tbsp. Dark Chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Make one flaxseed egg: In a small bowl, use a fork to whisk together the ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoons of water. Allow the mixture to sit until thick, about 5-10 minutes.
- In a larger bowl, whisk together the oat flour, almond flour, and baking powder. Add in the almond butter, maple syrup, flaxseed egg, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Mix together until all ingredients are evenly incorporated.
- Continuously wet your fingers to roll 2 tablespoons of cookie batter into a ball, and then pinch one side to form a teardrop shape. Repeat until all batter is used. Use the almond slices to create 3-5 layers of quills on each hedgehod cookie.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool for at least 1 hour.
- Once the cookies are cooled, melt dark chocolate to create a nose and eyes on each hedgehog cookie.