This Homemade Fresh Herb Pasta will definitely catch the eye of many mothers this weekend and it can be made without a pasta machine! Wanna know a secret? It only takes like 15 minutes of actual work to have this homemade pasta with fresh herbs at your dinner table this evening!
I made a step-by-step below for a simple guideline. Personally, I am a visualizer, so these always help me out when I have never done something before!
Looks easy enough, right? Right!! Don’t worry, I have been through all the struggles and failures for you! All you have to do is serve the pasta for a happy mom on Mothers Day!
When it comes to rolling out the dough, I do have a few recommendations:
- DUST with semolina flour, both on bottom and on top of the dough ball!
- Roll out the dough as thin as you can, then use a flat spatula to carefully remove it from the surface and flip to the other side.
- Roll out as thin as you can on the opposite side and set aside for a few minutes. Then, try rolling out that piece even thinner.
- If you haven’t come to your desired thinness, then cut the dough into medium-sized strips and roll it out even more from there. Then, use a pizza cutter or sharp knife to slice it into thin strips.
- The word THIN is key to this recipe! The pasta will grow in size when cooked, so go thinner versus thicker.
- Finally, toss those pasta strips into more semolina flour so that they are sure not to stick to each other!
You can either allow the pasta to dry out completely or place in an air-tight container in the freezer. I HIGHLY recommend freezing the pasta, because I believe it will keep it fresh the longest!
If you do decide to dry out the pasta, then try placing it in a mason jar with some ribbon as a gift for a friend and/or family member!
Try pairing this Fresh Herb Pasta with some extra virgin olive oil, freshly-chopped parsley, thinly sliced salami, lemon zest, crushed toasted cashews, and feta cheese. I just randomly started to throw unique flavors into the pasta bowl before serving it to my taste-testers (aka my family) and it was a HIT! All the pairings brought out the best in each other!!
Alrighty, let’s start making this fresh pasta… so let’s go grab our aprons!
Homemade Fresh Herb Pasta (Without Pasta Machine)
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 2/3 cup Semolina Flour
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/3 cup Freshly Chopped Herbs, I used parsley, cilantro, mint
- 1 tbsp. Water, at room temp.
- Whisk the eggs together.
- Sift the all-purpose flour on a clean surface. Add the semolina flour on top of the all-purpose flour. Use your fingers to incorporate the two flours together.
- Make a large well in the center of the flours. Add the whisked eggs, chopped herbs, extra virgin olive oil, and water into the well. Use your fingers to mix it all together.
- Knead the dough for 2-5 minutes until it forms a smooth ball. Add more water if the dough feels dry, and if the dough feels sticky then add a little more flour.
- Wrap the dough ball in Saran Wrap and set aside at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Dust a clean surface liberally with semolina flour. Roll out the dough as thin as you can. Then, use a flat spatula to carefully remove the dough from the surface and flip over. Roll out the opposite side as thin as you can.
- Then cut the dough into medium-sized strips, about 3-4 inches. Roll out each strip as thin as you can, then use a pizza cutter or sharp knife to slice into thin strips.
- Wrap 5-6 strips around your fingers and toss in some more semolina flour to ensure that they will not stick together. Place into serving-sized portion piles.
- Place the fresh pasta into an air-tight container and place in the freezer until ready to use.
- When ready to use: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Transfer the pasta from the freezer to the pot of water. Cook for 7-8 minutes, until al dente.
- I recommend garnishing with extra virgin olive oil, freshly-chopped parsley, lemon zest, thinly sliced salami, feta cheese, and toasted crushed cashews. It is divine!
Hope you all enjoy! And tell your mom (or someone you look up to) how special they are to you this weekend! xxL