Looking for a meal replacement smoothie? Or a midday pick-me-up? Or a satisfying dessert? Well, here is a guide on How to Build the Perfect Smoothie for every occasion!
There are four simple steps to building the perfect smoothie for every occasion.
Step 1: Choose a base (1 cup)
This is gonna be the liquid that blends the smoothie together. A few options include:
- Lifeway Organic Kefir (full of live probiotics cultures, protein, and naturally gluten free)
- Milk of choice
- Iced Coffee
- Fresh Juice
Step 2: Choose fresh or frozen fruit (1-2 cups)
If using fresh fruit, I recommend adding in 1-2 cups of ice cubes, as well. It helps to build the volume which will keep you feeling full longer, and elevates the flavor profiles of the fruit. A few options include:
- Bananas (makes it creamy)
- Cauliflower (makes it creamy without spiking blood sugar levels)
- Blueberries (wild blueberries are full of antioxidants)
- Frozen Acai
Step 3: Make it green (1 cup)
Smoothies are the perfect time to add greens into your diet, because a lot of the time you won’t even taste it! A few options include:
- Spinach (my go-to)
- Avocado (recommend 1/4 – 1/2 of an avocado)
Step 4: Add protein and fiber
This is especially important if you are having this smoothie post-workout or as a meal replacement, because they are an important part of a healthy diet as they are made up of amino acids. Amino acids are essential in building muscle, repairing damage, a natural energy source, as well as balancing hormones and enzymes. A few options include:
- Lifeway Organic Kefir (~1/2 cup) = 5 grams protein
- Whey or Vegan Protein Powder (1 scoop)
- Plain Fiber (1 cup) = 10 grams protein
- Flax Seeds (3 tbsp.) = 6 grams protein
- Old Fashioned Rolled Oats (1/4 cup) = 4 grams protein
- White Beans (1/2 cup) = 8 grams protein
- Chia Seeds (3 tbsp.) = 9 grams protein
- Pumpkin Seeds (1 – 2 tbsp)
- Yogurt (recommend plain sugar-free yogurt, as the fruit will add natural sweetness)
Why do you keep recommended organic kefir?
Lifeway Organic Kefir has been a life changing ingredient in my smoothies ever since childhood! Their high-quality kefir is loaded with probiotic cultures that may help support immunity and healthy digestion.
Personally, I’ve found it life changing because with each cup, I receive 390mg of calcium yet it doesn’t hurt my stomach since it is lactose intolerance friendly and naturally gluten free. Plus, there is nothing artificial in their products so you really can’t go wrong with any flavor of choice!
Do you have any easy smoothie recipes?
- Sunrise: 1/2 cup Lifeway Organic Blood Orange Kefir + 1 cup almond milk + 1/2 cup frozen berries + 1/2 cup spinach + 1/2 frozen banana
- Chocolate Berry: 1 cup Lifeway Organic Mixed Berry Kefir + 1/2 cup frozen blueberries + 1 cup spinach + 1/2 banana
- Chocolate Coffee: 1/2 tbsp. dark cocoa powder + 1 scoop vanilla or chocolate protein powder + 1/4 cup iced coffee + 1 frozen banana + 1 cup milk of choice
- Green Machine: 1/4 cup apple juice + 1/4 cup water + 1 scoop vanilla protein powder + 1/4 ripe avocado + 1/2 frozen banana + 1 cup spinach
- Tropical Green: 1/2 cup apple juice + 1/2 cup water + 1/2 cup mango + 1/2 cup pineapple + 1/2 banana + 1 cup spinach + protein (vanilla protein powder or 2 tbsp. chia seeds / flax seeds)
Well, I truly hope you all enjoy this simplified smoothie guide that has changed the game when it comes to making amazingly delicious smoothies here in the ABM kitchen! ’till next time… xxL
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
If you loved this delicious recipe I would truly appreciate it so much if you would give a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #abrightmoment and tagging me @brightmomentco. It always makes my day seeing y’alls creations!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
“So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”
Isaiah 41:10 (NIV)