Inspired by the heart-warming Italian wedding soup and the craving for a savory soup, I created my Italian Chicken Meatball Soup that is quick to make, high in protein, and oh. my. satisfying! I originally made the recipe about two weeks ago and it has been on REPEAT ever since 😉
As we step foot into the busy holiday season, I find it sometimes difficult to focus on savory meals that nourish your body and tend to focus more on cultivating new dessert-oriented recipes… I mean the holidays just scream sweet goodness to me! Anyone else?
I find this Italian Chicken Meatball Soup great for meal prepping, whether working in the office or at home, fulfilling for family dinners, and easy for sharing a meal with friends and neighbors.
What to pair (side dishes) with the soup?
- Sourdough or Whole Grain Bread
- Orzo / Pasta
- Brown Rice
- Winter Kale Salad
Now, it’s time to grab our aprons and begin cooking deliciousness!
Italian Chicken Meatball Soup
For Chicken Meatballs:
- 1 1/4 lb. Chicken Breasts, ground
- 1/3 cup Grated Parmesan
- 1 tbsp. Dried Oregano, or Dried Italian Herbs
- Juice of 1 Lemon, (optional) and add the lemon zest
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 large Egg, whisked
- 1 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
- 3/4 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Carrot Sticks, finely chopped
- 2 Celery Stalks, finely chopped
- 1/2 White Onion, finely diced
- 1-2 Rosemary Sprigs
- 4-5 cups Fresh Spinach
- 8 cups Chicken Broth or Bone Broth
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
For Chicken Meatballs:
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients EXCEPT the extra virgin olive oil. Use your hands to mix the batter together well.
- In a large frying pan over medium high heat, add in the 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil. Use 1 tbsp. or a small ice cream scooper to measure each meatball (makes 20-22 total). Cook the meatballs in batches until golden and crisp on the edges, about 4-5 minutes.
- Using the same pan from cooking the chicken meatballs, sauté the chopped carrots, celery, and diced onion until fragrant, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and rosemary sprigs, then bring to a boil. Add in the chicken meatballs, then simmer until chicken is completely cooked, about 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach until wilted (about 4-5 minutes). Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Serve warm.
I truly hope you all enjoy this quick and satisfying winter soup recipe that is great for meal prepping and beautiful for bringing to family/friend dinners! ’till next time… xxL
“For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul?.“
Mark 8:36 (ESV)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
If you loved this recipe I would truly appreciate it so much if you would give a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #abrightmoment and tagging me @brightmomentco. It always makes my day seeing y’alls creations!