Kale White Mac-N-Cheese
You no longer have to stress about what to bring to your next potluck or big family gathering, because my Kale White Mac-N-Cheese has you covered! This can feed up to 10 people, but is also great for making for dinner tonight and eating leftovers throughout the week!
Have you ever tried a Mac-N-Cheese burrito?! My brother (a college student) had the brilliant idea of putting leftover Mac-N-Cheese inside a tortilla, sealing the edges together in a cast iron skillet with a little olive oil, and he is now OBSESSED! Now, he is always asking me to make him one for his work lunches. What do you think? If you give it a try, let me know your thoughts!
I love how truly simple and easy this dish was to make. Plus, it really is a tried and true recipe, because I have been making it for ages! I just recently decided that I must share it with you guys, so that you can enjoy this dish, as well!
Funny story, I have actually been able to whip this dish up in under 10 minutes one time when I was rushing to get out the door, yet was starving! It is such a satisfying and fulfilling meal, that you really don’t need a whole lot to keep you full until the next meal. Which means lots of leftovers… which means a lot more free time this week 🙌🏼
This Mac-N-Cheese is ultra creamy and smooth and delicious! Plus, I think it is almost foolproof… you really can’t go wrong with how simple it is to make!
I personally love the taste of Lacinato kale when stir-fried, but you could also use regular kale, as well. I would say that you can even replace the kale for spinach if you wanted… or if you are feeling rebellious than you can completely take out all greens for a plain-but-still-oh-so-delicious white Mac-N-Cheese.
Time to grab our aprons and begin cooking!
Kale White Mac-N-Cheese
- 16 oz Elbow Pasta
- 7 oz Aged White Cheddar Cheese
- 4 oz Grated Parmigiano Reggiano (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 tbsp. + 1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp. Flour
- 2/3 cup Milk
- 1 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
- 4-5 handfuls of Lacinato Kale or Curly Kale, chopped
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add in the pasta and cook according to package directions, until al dente. Set aside 1 cup of the pasta water before straining the pasta.
- In the meantime, begin cooking the chopped kale in a stir-fry pot over medium high heat with 1 tbsp. olive oil and the sea salt for 5-10 minutes, or until cooked down.
- In a small saucepan over medium high heat, add the remaining 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, black pepper, and flour. Mix to combine. Stirring occasionally, cook the mixture for 1 minute. Add in the milk and bring to a boil (stir occasionally to prevent burning). [The mixture should become a thick and creamy consistency.]
- In the meantime, chop the cheddar cheese into small cubes. Reduce the saucepan's heat to medium and add in the cheeses. Add in the reserved pasta water and stir until all the cheeses are melted.
- Add the cheese mixture into the strained pasta. Using a wooden spoon, stir for 1-2 minutes. Add in the cooked kale and stir for another minute, or until all ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Serve warm or store in an air-tight container in the refridgerator for up to 4 days.
Hope you all enjoy and tell your families/friends how much you appreciate them today! xxL
You also may enjoy these recipes: