Two almond shortbread cookies sandwiched with zesty lemon buttercream and tart blueberry jam for the ultimate Austrian Linzer cookie upgrade. These Lemon, Blueberry, & Almond Cookie Sandwiches will be unforgettable!
Traditionally, the Austrian Linzer torte consists of almond shortbread pastry dough with a variety of raspberry or black currant preserves topped with a beautiful lattice top. It’s very similar to a fruit tart!
These Lemon, Blueberry, & Almond Cookie Sandwiches are perfect for a ladies brunch date, birthday party gift, or mid-day snack. They are light on the sugar, but still oh so scrumptious!
Now, let’s grab our aprons and begin baking deliciousness!
Lemon, Blueberry, & Almond Cookie Sandwiches
- Blueberry Jam (appx. 1/4 cup)
- 4 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Granulated Cane Sugar
- 1 large Egg Yolk
- 1/4 tsp. Almond Extract
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp. Almond Flour
- Pinch of Salt
- 1/4 cup Unsalted Butter, softened
- 3/4 cup Powdered Sugar
- 1/8 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1 tbsp. Milk
- 1/2 tsp. Maple Syrup
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a large baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the olive oil, sugar, egg yolk, almond extract, and lemon zest for 1 minute on medium high speed.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, almond flour, and salt. Pour into the olive oil mixture, then mix on medium speed until evenly combined.
- In between two pieces of parchment paper, roll out the dough to be 1/8" thick. Using a 2 1/2" cookie cutter, cut an even amount of circles. Using a smaller cookie cutter, cut out the centers of half of the cookies. Place on the prepared baking pan, then cool in the fridge for 15-30 minutes.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until slightly golden brown on the edges. Cool completely.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until smooth, about 1-2 minute. Add in the remaining ingredients, continuing to mix until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Using the whole cookie pieces as the bottom cookie layer, pipe a thin layer of lemon buttercream around the edges. Add 1 teaspoon blueberry jam in the center of the buttercream circle, then add the top cookie layer (the cookie with the cut-out). Gently press down to seal. Repeat. Enjoy!
I truly hope you all enjoy this indulgent, yet easy cookie sandwich recipe that has nestled its way into our hearts here in the ABM kitchen! ’till next time… xxL
“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.“
Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
If you loved this delicious recipe I would truly appreciate it so much if you would give a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #abrightmoment and tagging me @brightmomentco. It always makes my day seeing y’alls creations!