Spring is upon us! All these heavy rainfalls the past few weeks are blossoming beautiful flowers throughout our parks and outside our homes. Now, you know what you need to enjoy those warmer days outside? A cupcake! More specifically, our Lemon Poppy Seed Olive Oil Cupcakes with Lemon Curd Filling! They are moist and perfectly citrusy.
Scroll down to the recipe to find a no-butter lemon curd recipe that can be easily altered to your favorite citrus flavors. For example, I recently made a passion fruit curd by replacing a little over half of the lemon juice with the pulp of passion fruit. If you want to make a blood orange curd, then just replace all the lemon juice with blood orange juice – plus 1 tbsp. lemon juice 😉 Just a thought!
Who else is excited about the Spring Season that is here to bring us warmer days?!
Cupcakes are like a peace offering. Anyone with me? When it comes to Southern manners, we never say “no” when someone offers a homemade cupcake – and any bad memories are replaced by the sweet bites of this cupcake gift. Aka, if you’ve had a fight with your brother or said some unpleasant comments about your neighbor’s landscaping, then you might wanna bake up a dozen cupcakes and joyfully take them over!
Similarly, cupcakes are the perfect party food – because they are simply fluffy, mini cakes!
Let’s unwrap this spring-inspired cupcake, one-bite at a time…
Also, have you tried our other lemon poppy seed recipes? If you can’t tell, I adore anything poppy seed!
Now, it’s time to grab our aprons and begin baking deliciousness!
Lemon Poppy Seed Olive Oil Cupcakes with Lemon Curd Filling
Lemon Poppy Seed Olive Oil Cupcakes:
- 2 1/4 cup Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 2-3 tbsp. Poppy Seeds
- 1 cup Granulated Cane Sugar
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 tbsp. Lemon Zest
- 2 tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 3/4 cup Full-Fat Coconut Milk (can)
For the Homemade Lemon Curd:
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 1/2 cup Granulated Cane Sugar
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 1 Whole Egg
- Zest of 1-2 Lemons
For the Homemade Lemon Curd:
- In a saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest until the sugar has dissolved.
- Then, whisk in one egg at a time.
- Reduce to medium low heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, whisking occasionally.
- It is recommended to transfer the lemon curd to a bowl, then press saran wrap on the top of the lemon curd to prevent any air bubbles, then chill overnight. However, if you are in a rush – place the lemon curd in the fridge until your cupcakes are cooled!
For the Lemon Poppy Seed Olive Oil Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the olive oil, sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice together for 1 minute on medium high speed.
- Reduce speed to medium, then add in each egg one at a time. Finally, mix in the coconut milk.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, poppy seeds, and salt.
- Fold the flour mixture into the olive oil mixture until incorporated. Be careful not to overmix the batter.
- Line two cupcake pans, the fill each cupcake liner 3/4th full. (The batter makes about 18 cupcakes.)
- Bake for 18-23 minutes, or until a toothpick in the center comes out batter-free.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely. Then, remove the very center of each cupcake and fill with lemon curd. Frost with your vanilla-based favorite (I used a White Mountain Frosting).
I truly hope you all enjoy this olive oil cupcake recipe with citrus notes that will melt in your mouth! ’till next time… xxL