One of our favorite morning treats is waffles with fresh fruit and a little dollop of whip cream. I recently ordered a mini waffle maker on Amazon, and I think I may have my newest obsession – they are just so darn adorable! Our Mini Buckwheat Waffles with Fresh Mango Cream takes less than 15 minutes to make and is so scrumptious!
I adored these mini waffles; however, you can always just make regular waffles out of the batter. It will make about 4-5 normal-sized waffles, while it makes 11-12 mini waffles. Total serving size is 4 people. Actually, we ended up having leftovers because buckwheat waffles are very satisfying and fulfilling!
What is buckwheat?
First, have you ever added buckwheat groats to your homemade granola bars? If not, stop what you are doing and give it a try! It makes a worlds of difference!
Second, buckwheat is a gluten-free seed that can be used in place of wheat grains using similar cooking methods. It is relatively inexpensive and a fantastic source of protein!
What does buckwheat taste like?
Buckwheat has stronger flavor than more common grains like oats and rice. When considering the flavor of rolled oats, buckwheat may seem a little more bitter. However, when roasted, their natural toasty, nutty flavors become enhanced to make amazingly delicious baked goods.
Are buckwheat waffles healthy?
Of course! I mean, it does depend on the other ingredients you add into the waffles, but buckwheat itself is high in essential nutrients. It is a whole grain and superfood that can promote weight loss, improve heart health, and help you better manage diabetes. Also, it is a great source of fiber and protein to enhance your energy levels throughout your busy day!
Now, it’s time to grab our aprons and begin baking deliciousness!
Mini Buckwheat Waffles with Fresh Mango Cream
- 1 cup Buckwheat Flour
- 1 1/4 tsp. Baking Powder
- 3/4 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. Sea Salt
- 2 tbsp. Maple Syrup
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 Flax Egg* (Allow 1 tbsp. Flaxseed Meal & 2 tbsp. Water to sit until thickened, about 5 minutes)
- 1 1/4 cup Almond Milk**
- 1 tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
Fresh Mango Cream:
- 13.5 oz Full Fat Coconut Milk, or 1/2 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 (fresh) Mango, finely minced
- 1 tsp. Granulated Cane Sugar
- In a bowl, whisk together the almond milk and apple cider vinegar. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Add the maple syrup, olive oil, flax egg, and vanilla extract to the almond milk mixture.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buckwheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, ground cinnamon, and sea salt.
- Mix the flour mixture into the milk mixture to incorporate.
- Use 1-2 tablespoons of the batter per mini waffle. Cook according to waffle maker's directions (typically takes 1 minute to bake).
- You can also use 1/4 cup batter for normal-sized waffles.
Fresh Mango Cream:
- For vegan version: Whip the solid white part of the canned coconut with the granulated cane sugar for 5 minutes, or until fluffy. Add in the fresh mango.
- For heavy cream version: Whip the heavy whipping cream with the sugar until fluffy, then fold in the fresh mango.
I truly hope you all enjoy this recipe! ’till next time! xxL