Turning on the oven in August? 100% worth it!! I mean how could you live without an oven… how could you live without these delicious Mixed Berry Oatmeal Crumble Bars?!
These Mixed Berry Crumble Bars are like a chewy cookie on bottom, followed by a tart berry layer, topped with a slightly crunchy and chocolaty layer. Although the almonds are optional, I do highly recommend them because it adds the perfect crunch component that compliments the mixed berries.
I ended up mixing together a bag of raspberries, a bag of blueberries, and a bag of cherries for my version of the perfect mixed berries. I am not a huge fan of frozen strawberries, especially since a lot of times they come huge! But if you do end up getting the mixed berry bags that have those big strawberries… I recommend cutting them in quarters once they have thawed. This will help to keep everything in bite-sized portions and easy slicing at the end.
Our encouraging word of the day is fearlessness. To be fearless is to be bold, to be brave, to be courageous, to be the person that you want to see in the mirror every morning. It is not enough to wish or to want to see a different person in the mirror, but you must be fearless to make the change that you want to see. If that is to see a more compassionate person in yourself, then start baking banana bread and bring it to someone you know is going through a difficult time or to a neighbor you have yet to meet. If it is to see a healthier version of yourself, then stop saying the ultimate ‘tomorrow’ phrase and begin right now. Throw away your temptations and fight for you freedom. You are stronger than you give yourself credit for!
I believe it is time to grab our aprons and begin baking!
Mixed Berry Oatmeal Crumble Bars
Mixed Berry Filling:
- x2 12oz. Frozen Berries
- 5 tbsp. Whole Wheat Flour
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 2 tbsp. Maple Syrup or Honey
- 2 cups Flour
- 2 cups Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Granulated Cane Sugar
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
- 3/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Roasted Almonds, crushed (optional)
Mixed Berry Filling:
- I highly recommend placing the frozen berries into a colander in your sink to quickly rinse with warm water and allow them to drain for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until most of the liquid is drained.
- In a large bowl, lightly toss together the maple syrup, drained and thawed berries, whole wheat flour, and lemon juice.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a separate large bowl, mix together the flour, rolled oats, brown sugar, cane sugar, baking powder, and sea salt. Add in the extra virgin olive oil and use your hands to pinch together until a crumb-like mixture takes place. (Add up to 1/4 cup more olive oil if the crumb mixture is too dry.)
- In a 9×13" baking pan, place 2/3rds of crumb mixture into the pan. Press down to evenly spread it throughout the pan. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Evenly distribute the mixed berry filling on top. Finally, scatter the remaining crumb mixture on top. (Optional) Sprinkle the roasted and crushed almonds on top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Allow the mixed berry crumble bars to cool for 1-2 hours before slicing, so that the filling can become firm. (Optional: Drizzle with chocolate before serving.)
I truly hope you all enjoy this recipe! xxL
You may also enjoy these recipes: