Wow. Can I just say wow! These bagels actually turned out pretty tasty, & caught the attention of my whole family. Everyone was trying to grab a warm bagel fresh out of the oven. I don’t blame them, because these buddies are so good!
Please don’t be intimidated by the long instructions, I just went into detail to make sure they are fool-proof! It is so worth it!
New-York Style Everything Bagels:
- 3.5 cups Flour, preferable Bread Flour
- 2 tsp. Active Dry Yeast
- 1.5 tbsp. Granulated Sugar
- 2 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1 cup Warm Water
- 2 tbsp. Baking Soda
- 1 Egg
- Caraway Seeds
- Black Sesame Seeds
- White Sesame Seeds
- Sea Salt
- Poppy Seeds
- Fresh Garlic, Minced
- QUICK TRICK: take the easy way out and use Trader Joes “Everything But The Bagel” seasoning.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar and active dry yeast. Pour in 1/2 cup warm water over the sugar and yeast. Give it a quick stir to combine, and set aside for 5 minutes.
- In a separate larger bowl, mix together the flour and sea salt. Create a large well in the middle of the flour mix and pour the yeast mix into the well. Pour in 2/3 cup warm water into the well, too.
- I recommend using the kneading hook on a stand mixer to mix it all together for about 10-12 minutes. Otherwise, mix all ingredients together and then knead by hand for 10 minutes.
- Lightly grease another large bowl with a little bit of extra virgin olive oil. Place the kneaded dough into the bowl, cover with sera wrap, then place a damp towel over the serene wrap. Set aside for one hour, or until it doubles in size.
- Punch down the dough, and allow it to rise for another 10-15 minutes.
- Take the dough out of the bowl, and place on parchment paper, or a greased baking pan. Evenly cut the large dough ball into 8-9 small dough balls.
- Take each dough piece and form into a circular ball. Then press your finger into the middle of the dough to create a hole. Place back onto a greased baking pan or pan lined with parchment paper. Repeat until all bagels are formed.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Cover the bagels with a damp paper towel or dish towel. Set aside in a warm place for 10-15 minutes.
- In the meantime, boil a large pot of water with the baking soda.
- Place the dough-y bagels, two at a time, into the boiling water. Flip to the other side of the bagel after 1-2 minutes. Boil for 1-2 minutes on the other side, then place each back onto the baking pan. (For a chewier bagel, opt for 2 minutes.)
- In a small bowl, whisk 1 egg. Use the egg to wash each the top of each of the dough-y bagels. Sprinkle the seasoning on top of each dough-y bagel.
- Bake the bagels for 20 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
Healthy Vegan Cream Cheese:
- 14 oz Firm Tofu
- 2-3 tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 2 tsp. Sea Salt
- 2 tsp. Nutritional Yeast
- Optional Combinations:
- Sun-dried Tomatoes & Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Chives & Dill & Garlic & Parsley
- In a blender, add the firm tofu, sea salt, lemon juice, and nutritional yeast together. Blend until smooth.
- Fold in optional combinations to create your favorite cream cheese flavor.