Tender, light, and flaky – every bite of our Prosciutto, Rosemary, & Parmesan Savory Scones is like a little bite of Heaven! Unlike your typical scones, these are made with extra virgin olive oil (a healthier fat that promotes a healthy heart).
The extra virgin olive oil still adds lots of richness, texture, and flavor. I actually had someone test try these scones prior to shooting them, and they asked me if they were made with butter! I said no! But definitely ran with it that these were a good-to-go recipe, that I’m sure many of you will love!
What is the difference between scones and biscuits?
For years, I was very confused on what was the key difference between scones and biscuits. Both were tender on the inside, flaky on the outside – typically scones were sweeter and biscuits more savory. SO I did some digging to find out that it’s all in the milk and eggs being used.
Typically, a good ol’ southern biscuit will be made with buttermilk, which is more acidic, allowing it to be extra fluffy and flaky – giving it those beautiful wrinkles on the sides.
On the other hand, a scone is typically made with more dense, richer ingredients like heavy cream and whole eggs to make it more like a pastry that is crumbly yet still tender inside. However, we’ve cracked the code to making our Prosciutto, Rosemary, & Parmesan Savory Scones without the need for heavier ingredients – we simple rely on your everyday, wholesome ingredients to keep things a little more on the lighter side.
Now, it’s time to grab our aprons and begin baking deliciousness!
Prosciutto, Rosemary, & Parmesan Savory Scones
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 2 tsp. Granulated Cane Sugar
- 1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1 large Egg
- 1/2 cup Milk of choice
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2.5 oz Prosciutto, chopped
- 1 tbsp. Fresh Rosemary, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Goat Cheese, broken into small pieces
- 1/4 cup Parmesan, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 450F. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, black pepper, and sugar.
- Add in the olive oil, then use a fork to mix until crumb-like texture.
- Mix in the chopped prosciutto, parmesan, goat cheese, and rosemary.
- Add in the whisked egg and milk. Use the fork to mix the batter until well-combined.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to a circular shape that is 3/4" thick. Cut into 8 triangles.
- Evenly spread out the scones on the prepared baking pan with 1" space inbetween each. Brush each scone with either olive oil or milk, and garnish with a little salt. Bake for 9-11 minutes, until slightly golden brown.
I truly hope you all enjoy this healthier olive oil savory scones recipe that has nestled its way into our hearts here in the ABM kitchen! ’till next time… xxL
“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.“
Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
If you loved this delicious recipe I would truly appreciate it so much if you would give a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #abrightmoment and tagging me @brightmomentco. It always makes my day seeing y’alls creations!