The May flowers are in full blossom and our local farmers markets are stuffed with bright Summer vegetables! Last year, I came into this mindset that I wanted a super easy & yummy dish that’d incorporate almost every veggie I could find at my market – and that is exactly what our Roasted Summer Vegetable Lasagna does!
If you’re a skeptic on how delicious a veggie-stuffed lasagna can be – this recipe was approved by all the boys in my family (and they are so picky!) lol
If you’re liking the idea of incorporating your farmers market vegetables into a pasta dish, but don’t have the time to make lasagna – then definitely give our Summer Squash, Mushroom & Basil Pasta a try! Both of these recipes will satisfy any savory cravings you have, and still be light on your stomach for the warm season.
A little side note on the secret ingredient: The creamy farmers cheese is a fantastic alternative to ricotta cheese – higher in protein and lower in fat. The mild flavor and crumbly texture help enhance the roasted, natural flavor combination of the vegetables. Farmers cheese is such a versatile cheese in savory baked recipes, because the mild notes allow you to add more flavor according to your preferences! Add those spicy notes – hot sauce, chili peppers, fresh habanero slices – or add those sweet notes – honey, cardamom, dried cranberries.
Now, it is time to grab our aprons and begin baking deliciousness!
Roasted Summer Vegetable Lasagna
Roasted Summer Vegetables:
- 2 cups Corn, freshly cut off 2 corn cobs or frozen
- 3 large Zucchini, sliced
- 1 large Red Bell Pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 large Red Onion, chopped
- 1 Asparagus bunch (optional), chopped
- 2 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp. Cumin
- 1 tsp. each: Sea Salt & Black Pepper
Farmers Cheese Layer:
- 1 lb. Farmers Cheese
- 1 – 1.5 cups White (Sweet) Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced or pressed
- 1 lb. Lasagane Pasta
- 28 oz Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 tbsp. Dried Italian Herbs
- 2 cups Shredded Mozzarella or Shredded Parmesan
- Fresh Basil, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- In a large bowl, toss together the corn, sliced zucchini, sliced bell pepper, chopped red onion, olive oil, cumin, sea salt, and black pepper.
- Transfer the veggies to a large baking pan lined with parchment paper. Roast for 20-25 minutes.
- In the meantime, mix together the white cheese layer ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Then, open the can of crushed tomatoes to stir in the dried Italian herbs.
- In a 9×13" baking dish, add a thin layer of the crushed tomato/dried herb mix. Then, add a layer of lasagne pasta (slightly overlapping the sheets). Then, add a layer of the white cheese mixture. Then, add a layer of the roasted vegetables (this is when you would add the chopped asparagus, too). Repeat until all ingredients are used.
- (TIP: If you do not have enough crushed tomato mixture to cover your top pasta layer, add a little chicken broth or water.)
- Top the baking dish with the shredded mozzarella or parmesan, and a little freshly chopped basil.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350F. Cover the baking dish with foil, then bake for 45 minutes. Bake uncovered for 10-15 minutes, until the cheese is becoming golden brown.
- Garnish with fresh basil and serve warm.
I truly hope you all enjoy this Roasted Summer Vegetable Lasagna recipe! I adore pasta, so I really can’t be more excited to share this festive dinner idea with you! ’till next time… xxL
More Pasta Recipes You’ll Love: