The Skinny Creamy Mushroom & Wild Rice Soup
I call this recipe my Skinny Creamy Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup, because it needs neither heavy cream nor butter! Using all fresh-from-the-farm vegetables, that are in season, gives this soup’s flavor and aroma an extra breakthrough!
I served this soup alongside my famous olive oil biscuits, recipe found in my cookbook, and they complimented each other PERFECTLY!!
Best. Cold. Day. Meal. Ever.
In North Carolina, we have a cold week ahead of us, so I wanted to get a head start on creating some warm, comforting soup recipes that can be easily made. And lately I have been having a real hankering for a creamy, stew-like soup. I had a ton of carrots and mushrooms that I had just bought from my local farmers market the previous day… and BAM! … just like that I knew I had to make a Creamy Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup.
Oh boy, is this soup addicting! There is definitely enough to feed a boat load, but my family devoured this soup the day I made it! They didn’t even want me to make dinner, because they wanted to eat the leftovers of this soup from lunchtime! Therefore, it has been family-approved!!
This Creamy Mushroom and Wild Rice soup is great to make the day prior, store in the freezer for those busy afternoons, and/or perfect for family gatherings! Plus, the aroma of the soup, while it is cooking, will draw just about everyone in your household to the kitchen!
Another reason I LOVE this soup is because of its strong use of fresh, seasonal vegetables. It reminded me of Genesis 1:29, “And God said, “Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit. You shall have them for food.””
Creamy Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup
- 1/2 Red Onion, minced
- 3 Celery Stalks, diced
- 2 Large Carrot Sticks, diced
- 2 cups Cremini Mushrooms, quartered
- 1 1/3 cup Wild Rice, uncooked
- 5 1/2 cups Chicken Broth or Vegetable Broth
- 1 1/2 cups Milk *
- 3 + 4 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 2 tsp. Salt
- 3 tsp. Black Pepper
- In a large pot over medium heat, add in the 4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil.
- Add in the minced red onion and stir fry until tender, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes, until the aroma is very fragrant.
- Add in the diced celery, quartered mushrooms, and diced carrot. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the uncooked wild rice and 3 cups broth. Mix it all together.
- Stir in the salt and black pepper. Bring to a light boil, cover with a lid, and allow it to cook over medium-low heat for 45-50 minutes, or until the wild rice has been cooked.
- In the last 10 minutes of the soup cooking: In a separate pot, heat up the 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil over medium heat for 1 minute. Mix in the flour.
- Whisk in the milk and 1.5 cups broth. Set aside to simmer for 10 minutes, or until it thickens.
- Add the flour/milk mixture into the mushroom/rice pot. Stir until it’s all evenly distributed. Add in the remaining 1 cup broth, stir, cover, and simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Serve warm with freshly-grated parmesan cheese and fresh cilantro. Enjoy!
If you recreate this recipe, then I encourage you to tag @brightmomentco
I would love to see you make this!!!